TikTok soared to new social media heights this year. Previously known as Musical.ly, it’s dominating with more than 1.5 billion all-time downloads. But what’s keeping this wildly popular video-sharing app in the news and in the smartphones of many? How it empowers users to be a creator instead of simply being a bystander.
TikTok: 5 Best Practices To Remember
If you are keen to venture into TikTok, here are five ways you can go about it to ensure success.
Focus on an influencer strategy.
The majority of the app’s user base is younger than 30 years old. This Gen Z demographic tend to look up to celebrities and influencers. As such, one of the best ways to maximise the platform is to engage TikTok influencers that have a large following. For this strategy to take off, allow your TikTok creators to have creative freedom. This way, your product or business is weaved into a content that comes across authentic despite being sponsored.
Make it fun.
As easy it is to get noticed on the app, it’s also easy to fade in the background if you don’t embrace the essence of platform. TikTok is all about having fun, being candid and exuding a youthful spirit. If you are to create TikTok videos, make sure they are simple, short and snappy.
Check out what’s trending.
Hashtags are important on TikTok just like on Facebook and Instagram. For users, it’s how they discover videos. For brands, it’s one way to organize and track content. But more importantly, brands can hop on trending hashtags and create videos that relate to whatever is the latest craze dominating the platform. Don’t take your brand too seriously. Be open to trending hashtag challenges and let the viewers relate to you as you shrug off all formalities.
Avoid re-purposed content.
Digital marketing strategies typically see content being repurposed between social media platforms. Although such a tactic can be executed between Facebook and Instagram, marketers don’t really recommend this. With a variety of features, brands would do better to create videos specifically made for the app. Moreover, that includes utilizing the different music tracks and effects available on the app.
Get in on the different TikTok advertising options.
Besides taking the organic route to TikTok marketing success, it’s also important for brands to dive into the opportunity that TikTok ads present. TikTok offers four ad types.
- In-Feed Ads – These are ads that appear while users are exploring content.
- Brand Takeover – One of the priciest ad formats, it’s a full-screen ad that pops up every time a user opens TikTok for the first time. Measured by clicks, impressions and unique reach, it supports a brand’s landing page.
- Brand Hashtag Challenge – One of the most prominent TikTok ad formats, this encourages users to participate in a challenge through a promoted hashtag. This can also be featured on the discovery page.
- Top View – This format is similar to Brand Takeover. This ad starts upon launching of the app and then transitions to an in-feed post.
- Branded Lens – This ad brings 3D objects, filters and other effects available for users. They can use this to punch up their content.
Curious where TikTok can take your business?
Let IH Digital, a digital marketing agency in Malaysia offering TikTok advertising services help you explore this social media platform. Get in touch with us today by clicking the button below.